Nov 19, 2009

The Persn Who I Admire

 I'll introduce an author who I admire.

William Faulkner (1897~1962):



He was one of the most influential writers of the 20th century, famous for his novels, novellas and short stories. He awarded the Nobel Prize in 1949.

Faulkner’s life was full of difficulties. Firstly, the big contrast between his father and mother led to the separation of the family. So since Faulkner was young, he suffered from the pains of separation of family. Secondly, because of his weak father, Faulkner was considered as a hopeless person, so he failed in getting married with his lover. Thirdly, when Faulkner felt nothing left for him, and the WWI happened at this time,  he wanted to do some contributions to his country. However, his short height made him fail in attending the military, that’s why he changed his identity to join the England military being as a pilot. The frustrated thing was when he finished the training, WWI was also ended. Even though, Faulkner continued to confront the difficulties and challenges in his life, he didn’t give up. He started to step into the road of literature by his imagination. Finally, he succeeded, becoming a famous author.

I admire his spirits, never giving up himself. There are many different kinds of troubles in our life, we may give up doing something, but we should never give up ourselves. I still believe “Heaven never seals off all the exits”.

Works:

1. The Sound and the Fury (1929): It introduces the significant but decadent Compson family in a remarkably structured story.

2. As I Lay Lying (1930): It reveals the psychological relationships of a subnormal poor-white family on a pilgrimage to bury their mother.

3. Light in August (1932): It was filled with horror, however, it is a more balanced contrast of positive and negative forces of life in its presentation of violent adventures involved in the relations between men and women, black and white.

4. Absalom, Absalom! (1936): It set in early 19th-century Jefferson, shows the tragic downfall of the dynastic desires of the planter Colonel Sutpen.

No comments:

Post a Comment